Saturday, September 1, 2012

Cheesy Quinoa Casserole

I recently got a new recipe book for my kindle. Every recipe is about quinoa. If you have never heard of quinoa before you are certainly missing out!

Quinoa is a grain. When using quinoa you want to make sure it is rinsed thoroughly before cooking, the reason for this is because as a natural form of self preservation quinoa has a coating or film on the grains that tastes very bitter to deter animals in the wild from eating it. However rinsing removes this and it becomes quite tasty.

I like the nutty flavor it has. Quinoa is very versatile and can be used in many ways. It is easy to cook, simple quinoa is cooked much like rice. In a pot add 1 cup rinsed quinoa to 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for approximately 15-20 minutes until all water is absorbed. This can be changed to add flavor, you can use chicken stock for example, or if making a porridge for breakfast try cooking it in apple juice for an added touch of sweetness.

I will tell you, I followed the recipe except I didn't fold the red pepper mixture in, I put it on top because I thought it looked prettier. I'm sure it did nothing to change the taste, but then again you never know. I hope you enjoy.


Here are the before it was cooked and after. Doesn't it look yummy? Tastes great too!

No comments:

Post a Comment