Thursday, November 17, 2011

Christmas presents

It's that time of year again, although it has been unseasonably warm so far, there is still a crispness to the air, (at least in the morning) the Christmas music is already playing at the stores.  Christmas displays have been in stores for a few weeks now.  Yikes!  My family has decided (mostly because no one has money, but also because family time is so much more important that "stuff") that we can only spend $5 on each other this year.
This is a wonderful idea, it means more presents from the heart than from the store.  There will be more thought and intent behind the gifts than just the idea that we need more stuff.  (I'm going to win!!)  Wait, it's not a contest! (but I'm going to win!)  I have started, or continued, a tradition of giving ornaments as part of my gifts.  I've always received an ornament first from my grandmother, then by my mother.  She still gives us one, I always look forward to what she's picked out for us.  Last year I crocheted ornaments.  I made trees, Christmas mice, gnomes, and snowmen.  I wasn't sure yet what to make this year and then I was told about the $5 limit!  I already had a lot of plans for different things I was making.  I had most of the supplies around my home, but all things considered, I didn't have the budget to buy anything for ornaments.  What to do, what to do.
This is what I decided to make.  I think they came out beautiful.  I went a little overboard, a lot of the colored ones will be decorations in my windows, but who knows.  All I did was laminate them.  Now I'll punch a small hole to string some ribbon, or whatever I can find. ( I really don't have anymore money to spend!  In fact, I think I'm slightly over, but that's not my fault as I already invested money in ideas before I was informed of the money challenge.)




I know these were already in above pictures but these are my favorite colored snowflakes!

There are actually many more white snowflakes than colored, but I picked out my favorites.

And these are my absolute favorites.
Talk about a cheap ornament.  Luckily I had the laminate at the house and didn't have to spend money on it!  Otherwise I'd be in trouble!  What are some of your Christmas/ holiday traditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment