Saturday, October 8, 2011

Canning

I have tried my hand at canning for the very first time this fall.  It is very exciting.  I have to admit to the very real satisfaction to hearing that "pop" when the jar seals.  I have been making mustard pickles for a few years now, but it is just not the same.  For those who do not know, mustard pickles are a VERY strong pickle, and are not for the feint of heart.
This year I picked many peaches from a tree at one of the homes that I work in.  Then I thought......what now?  I was looking at one of the blogs I follow: Sue@creativetryals.blogspot.com    she posted about canning, I thought I'd give it a try.  I did not follow her exact instructions as I was not just canning the peaches, but decided to try my hand at peach jam, but she did give me the desire to try.
To date, I have made 14 jars of pickles, keeping 6 for myself, 10 small jars of peach and honey jam, 2 jars of peach/brown sugar sauce, 2 jars of peach/cinnamon sauce, and now 6 small and 1 pint sized jar of apple cider glaze.  I must say I am quite proud of myself, and just wait till I make my homemade Christmas presents!
So it started by seeing these delicious peaches on the tree.

Here is the peach/brown sugar sauce I made.

This is the apple cider glaze I just finished canning.  Here they will sit for the next 12 hours to finish the sealing process.  I've already heard my first 'pop' from this bunch!

And here are all the jars of pickles, sauce and jams I have accrued over the last couple of weeks.  Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment